A pretty treat for a high tea
The other day a friend of ours commented how she needed to make some cupcakes for a kitchen tea, but didn't really know where to begin. I promptly volunteered to make them, because... well if you haven't gathered by now, I Love Baking!
I decided to do something a little special and since this is the year of experimentation in the kitchen, I thought I would try my hand at making some delicate sugared rose petals to decorate the cupcakes with. This is how I did it:
- Roses/rose petals (roses that smell yummy will taste yummy)
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar (don't use castor sugar, its too fine)
- Brush the egg white on both sides of the rose petal
- Sprinkle both sides of petal with sugar.
- Place on baking tray with baking paper on it and let dry, this will take a few hours.
- Store in an airtight container.
- These rose petals can be frozen. I froze mine for two days. They did not look as fresh but still looked very pretty.
All the ingredients ready
Pick the white nib off the tip of the petal
Brush on the egg white
Sprinkle with sugar
If preferred transfer to a clean tray for drying
Gorgeous decoration for cupcakes!
These are vanilla cupcakes with butter cream icing piped onto them. They have gold sugar sprinkled on the icing, finished with the rose petals.
To make the cupcakes look that extra bit elegant, use patty cases with a lovely floral design on them.
What do you think? Look yummy?